President of the Hungarian Bar Association
Dr. Bánáti was born on 20 June 1944 in Budapest. He received his summa cum laude Juris Doctor degree in 1967 from Eötvös Lóránd University, Faculty of Law. After his university studies he worked at the Community of Attorneys No. 21 in Budapest, from 1967 until 1969 as a trainee lawyer, then from 1969 till 1990 as an attorney-at-law. Since 1990 he has been practicing law as a member of the Bánáti Law Office.
From 1979 until 1984 Dr. Bánáti was a member of the Presidium, from 1984 until 1989 a member of the Disciplinary Board, then from 1989 until 1992 the Sectretary General of the Budapest Bar Association.
In 1992 he was elected president of the Budapest Bar Association, and he held this position – after repeated re-election – until March 2006.
On 15 May 2006 he was elected president of the Hungarian Bar Association, and he was re-elected for this position in 2010, 2014, and 2019.
From the establishment of the Faculty of Law of Pázmány Péter Catholic University he taught criminal procedure law there until 2014.
Former positions held outside the Bar Association:
- Member of the Supervisory Board of ÁPVRT
- Chairman of the Economic Council of Eötvös Lóránd University
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Minister of Justice
- Board member of the Money and Capital Market Arbitration Court
- Member of the Senate of Eötvös Lóránd University, Faculty of Law
- Member of the National Council of the Judicature
Currently held positions:
- Member of the National Judicial Council
- Vice President of the Hungarian Lawyers Association
- Honorary professor at Pázmány Péter Catholic University, Faculty of Law
- Chairman of the Editorial Board of the journal ‘Hungarian Law’
- Vice President of the Hungarian Society of Criminal Law
- Board member of the Hungarian Society of Criminology
- Board member of the Hungarian department of the International Criminal Law Society
- Board member of the Arbitration Court attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Member of the Permanent Arbitration Court for Sports
- Member of the Bar Exam Examination Board
- honorary university professor at Pázmány Péter Catholic University, Faculty of Law
Language Skills: English
- For Excellent Legal Work 1990
- Hungarian Order of Merit, Officer’s Cross 1996
- Szalay László Award 1998
- Hungarian Order of Merit, Commander’s Cross 2004
- Eötvös Károly Award 2006
- Amicus Curiae: 2013
- Pro Notariis Hungariae – For Hungarian Notaries Award 2014
- Viski László Medallion 2015
- Deák Ferenc Award 2016